Thursday, August 28, 2008

Indiana State Fair

We went to the Indiana State Fair in early August. I have gotten so far behind on blogging and had such trouble w/photo uploads due to our internet service provider, that I have just given up on catching up. I did want to share some funny stuff... despite the lack of photos... about our trip to the fair.

I just asked Ben what the best parts of the Indiana State Fair were for him... he said:
  • seeing all of the real live animals that lived and that kind of stuff
  • seeing the bones and the fish and the turtle shell and those rats and the African wild goat (I don't recall the African wild goat... but whatever!)
  • I really liked to eat the wild animals (apparently the turkey leg qualifies?)
  • AND you know, helping the animals... giving the animals food

Owen said the best parts were...

  • riding rides (we didn't ride any)
  • John Deere tractors
  • and the golf cart

My favorite part was the LEASH! I probably mentioned before that after our return from Kings Island and an incident w/Owen running from me in the mall, I bought a backpack/leash. The boys discovered the backpack in the van before we left Greencastle. Owen thought it was so cool... and kept saying "that for me?" and "my packpack?" Ben was complaining because he didn't have one. Finally I said "Ben - just wait.. you'll see..."

So we get to the fairgrounds and we're in the parking lot... and I have the back of the van open and both boys are standing in it. Jason was already in the fairgrounds having been there to work all day... So I put the backpack on Owen and get him all fastened in ... and Ben is STILL complaining about not having his own backpack. Then I get the "leash" part out and attach it to the backpack. Ben, seeing this, yells (pointing to Owen and the leash) "Ha! You're on a LEASH!!"

Owen starts turning around like a puppy trying to get something that is on his back and saying "no WEASH (he has an "L" issue)" and "don't put me on a WEASH!" All the way into the fairgrounds, surrounded by other fair-goers, he is saying over and over "not a WEASH!" "pwease take off the weash!" People were actually stopping to feel bad for the boy.. and then he was stopping and refusing to move and then I'd have to pull him ... much like a stubborn puppy that won't move.

When we finally reached the fairgrounds and met up w/Jason, he felt bad for Owen and insisted that I remove the leash. We took it out once more when he got called out and I was trying to wrangle both boys amidst a crowd of kids and parents that were trying to feed the goats.

It was pretty pitiful... so we probably won't do it again anytime soon. Anyone need to borrow a kid-leash?

As I'm writing there has been a big dispute over the fridge magnet that plays the ABCs. Ben just said "OWEN I am SO TIRED of hearing that song!" I am betting it has been played no less than 50 times since we have been home tonight. On the upside, Owen is really good at his ABCs now! Gotta go intervene...

No comments: