Friday, September 5, 2008

A big week...

It started on Saturday at Holiday World... then on Monday when we returned to Greencastle we went to hunt for "interesting rocks." First we ventured to the Sports Park next to our house.. where Ben tired of looking for Indian beads within minutes. Owen came along and reinvigorated the search for a few minutes, before we headed for home.

That night though, Jason had the idea to go to a creek bed on a neighbor's property. Unbeknownst to us, this is a hot bed for fossils... Ben and I did some advance research and learned that "indian beads" are really ancient fossilized crinoids, or sea lilies, that lived 350 million years ago in an ancient sea that covered Indiana. I was actually pretty excited to know this and head to the creek... as were the boys.


When we got there, the lure of the water and mud overtook them and the fossil hunting became a minor distraction. MOMMY hunted fossils while the boys splashed. Until of course my dear husband hatched a plan that involved me walking in the creek while splashing madly to drive the minnows upstream to where he was standing with a ziplock. He finally caught one and the boys thought it was cool. That said, they liked the baby frogs that I found and caught better... and I didn't have to splash in the muddy water as much to retrieve those!


Soon, Owen was sitting, then practically laying in the water. It was getting dark and we had our hands full, or we'd have had some pretty funny shots. Later in the week when Owen recounted the event for my mom he said "we found wocks (rocks) in water... and I got my buuutt (pronounced with 2 or 3 syllables) all wet."


Tuesday night the boys played at Justin and Cody's house while I had a meeting and Jason worked. Then Wednesday it was the big "nursery graduation" at church. Yes, there were caps for the graduates... and cake and punch. Owen got to say goodbye to the nursery (he hated the nursery... has cried every Sunday for 2 yrs when we have dropped him off!) and hello to the new preschool area. He's now in the same area as Ben so I'm expecting big things.


Then tonight (Thursday), Ben's first Fall soccer practice! Everyone on the team is from our church.. .with the exception of 1 little guy. Ben enjoyed it and said that his cleats "make me so fast that I shred the grass!" Don't worry about his self-confidence! Owen was a very supportive little brother and kept saying "good job Ben" while Ben was playing. When Ben came out for water breaks, Owen was there with the bottle for him. I'm sure it won't last, but it sure was cute tonight! On the way home the conversation went like this....


Owen: "good job Ben. good job at soccer."

Ben: "thanks Owen. say you're welcome, Owen, when I say thanks."

Owen: "thanks Ben, good job. you're welcome. "

Ben: "thanks Owen, good job saying 'you're welcome'"

Owen: "thanks Ben"

Ben: "you're welcome"


I was watching the exchange in the rearview. Sure beats the fighting I'm usually witnessing!


Oh and lest I forget... Ben's first day at Pre-K was on Tuesday. Here's a pic of him before we went. He says it's "okay -- not as fun as the 4s class." Apparently they have to work more and play less... in their 2.5 hr class. I can hardly wait to see how full-day kindergarten is received come next August! He did tell me at dinner the first night... "I hang out with Scot. There was a girl chasing me but I ran away. At first I wasn't really running really fast like I can but then I did and I was like woosh... gone away from her. And then I told Scot to run and he did and he's fast but not faster than me. So me and Scot, we just like hung out together because we're like friends like that."


Later that night I was talking to Scot's mom, Melissa, and she said that she had asked Scot if he made any new friends at school. Apparently his response was much like Ben's... nah, my friend Ben is there so I don't need anyone else! They're 4 and they've already formed a clique!


Tomorrow (okay, today, now) is Owen's first day of preschool... I'm sure I'll have stories about that one by tomorrow night!

No comments: