Saturday, February 23, 2008

Vacation Week

Jason and I went to Las Vegas this past week. We told the boys that they were going to have their own "vacation"... and boy did they. They didn't even care that we were gone! I usually don't talk to Ben on the phone when we're on this trip b/c he cries when he hears me (in the past, anyway). I tell mom and dad that they can let them call if they ask, but otherwise, I'll just chat w/them (mom and dad) to see what is going on.

On Thursday mom had her heart catherization and when I called after she got home, the boys sounded WILD in the background. I asked to talk to Ben and when I did, he said something like "Hi Mommy. We're playing with a sword from the basement. Do you want to talk to Owen?" Then Owen gets on and says "Mommy? Bye Mommy." ... then he takes off. It is good to be able to leave them and not have to worry about them getting homesick... so I'll just keep that in mind rather than focusing on the fact that my boys didn't even want to talk to me!!

We got home Thursday night to find pretty slushy and slick roads. By the time we got our luggage and made the usually 30-minute-drive home (which took an hour), it was 9:30 PM and mom told me that Owen was already asleep. At the house we found that the furnace had gone out and the grill was blown over AND the cats were out of food... so we decided to stay at home and get the temp up (it was 43 degrees when we got home!) and pick the boys up on Friday.

When we got to mom and dad's on Friday, Ben saw us first. He smiled -- and then Owen saw me and smiled... and THEN Owen saw his DAD!! He ran to Jason who was squatted down and sat on his knee. His lip was out and he looked like he was moments from a teary breakdown. He put his head on his dad's shoulder and just hung on for dear life. Made us wonder what he'd been thinking during the week... hopefully NOT that we had abandoned him!!

Since getting home, Jason has been unable to get out of Owen's sight. He cries "my daddy, my daddy!" It's sweet for now... but drop off at daycare will be hard on Monday if this hasn't passed by then!

Today we played in the snow for a couple of hours. We only had 2-3 inches... but enough to make snowballs and a little snow wall. The boys had fun with their new snow shovels, though there was a lot of fussing about the snow clothes and mittens from both of them. After playing in the snow, we came in and had snow ice cream and hot chocolate... big hits.


Now, as I write at 10:50 PM, both boys are eating Lucky Charms. I know, all good kids are in bed already...

Oh, and about Vegas... it was a really nice trip. We went to 2 shows - Le Reve (actually very odd) and Stomp Out Loud. The latter was at the new Planet Hollywood Resort and we both LOVED it. We also saw a movie out there... that was nice. We don't see many movies anymore!!

This pic is in the stomp theater...

No comments: