Sunday, March 23, 2008

Falling out of bed...

Last night (really EARLY this morning) there was a loud noise in Ben's room. Then piercing cries from Ben and the pitter patter of Owen's feet yelling "daddy! daddy!"

I ran into the boys' room to find Ben in a ball in the floor, having fallen out of the bed. I don't know who was more upset... him or Owen. I had picked Owen up as I ran thru the kitchen and he was still crying "daddy!" Fortunately Ben's bed is low to the ground and so he was fine. I think Owen was more upset. He kept saying "Ben fell out! Ben fell out!" I thanked him for being a helper and told Ben it was so nice that Owen was worried about him.

As I write, the boys are still sleeping. We were going to go to first service today for Easter but Jason just got paged. Now we're hoping he'll be back for second service and the boys and I are waiting to go then as well.

We went shopping yesterday (me, Ben, Owen) to get Easter outfits for the boys. Ben got a suit and tie - which I'll post pics of later. The minute I tried the suit jacket on him it was clear that whether or not it was on sale, we were taking it home. He said "do I look GOOD??" Then "do I look like DADDY?" and then a moment later, as if it just occurred to him... "do I look like BRUCE WAYNE?" (that is Batman's secret identity, if you didn't know). He loves it.

I took the single stroller with us yesterday for the brief shopping trip that only included 5 stores and a visit to Chic-fil-a. Anymore Ben doesn't want to ride so much as he wants to walk, so it's a waste to haul the big stroller around. Ben had chosen to wear his cowboy boots for easy on/off at the Chic-fil-a play area. For the entire shopping part of our trip, this is what I heard from behind me... "why do I have to walk?" . "I'm tired." "Are we done yet?" "My legs are SOOOO tired." "When can I sit down?" "Why does OWEN get to ride?" "Slow down. Ugh. You are walking too fast." I couldn't help but laugh. Everyone we saw went "ahhhh" - then commented on how tired/pitiful/sad he looked. Everytime we stopped for a moment, he sat down. I told him to think of it as soccer conditioning. That didn't help. The funniest point was probably when, having carried Ben's suit to the counter to pay at JCP, I realized there was a coupon deal that would have made the suit that was just slightly too big for Owen pretty cheap. I said that we'd be back and we headed back to the children's area to contemplate the suit.

All the way back as we passed people walking Ben said things like "are all of these people going back to get another suit?" and "why are the suits SO FAR away?" Finally after I decided NOT to get the second suit (which would have also required new shoes), we began our return trip to the catalog area where we were checking out. You can imagine... "we didn't even get another suit!" and "Mom let's just pay and leave, okay?"

A shopper he is clearly not.

We topped the day off yesterday w/Easter Egg coloring. The short story is that my nephew was late, we started without him, and by the time he got here (about 15 eggs into the coloring), my boys were more interested in him than the coloring part. We managed to get a few more eggs done by the boys before they all took off running. Basically Jason and I colored a bunch of eggs. And as it turns out, I still don't know how to boil eggs. Twenty-two of our forty eggs are very "soft boiled" ... meaning that when dropped they make a HUGE mess! If we can figure out which are hard boiled, I think we'll eat them today.

Later, more on Easter...

No comments: