Monday, March 10, 2008

Separation Anxiety?

I told Ben last night that I wouldn't be around tonight... that I'd be staying at the hospital with Grandpa to help keep an eye on Grandma. He cried. He wanted to know who would rub his back while he falls asleep. This week may be a rocky one for Jason... the boys aren't usually "momma's boys" (well not Owen anyway), but lately they've been fussing for whoever is not around.

Mom came through the surgery in 3 hours today... faster than the surgeon's estimate. They had told us 4-6 hrs so we were very surprised. She got a "porcine" heart valve... Ben will be glad to know. He's been wondering whether Grandma would get a "pig heart" or a "cow heart!" Anyway, mom came out from the anesthesia around 3:30 and they removed the ventilator tube sometime shortly after. No one told us that it was okay to go back to see her... I wondered back and touched her hand. I'll post the conversation here, but read fast b/c when she gets well enough to read this she will probably make me remove the post...

Mom: "you need to get out of here, you have the flu."

Me: "no Mom, I don't"

Mom: "did you wash your hands?"

Me: "yes, with the antibacterial stuff"

Mom: "I am thirsty and they say I can't have anything." and then "I REALLY hurt, have they given me morphine yet??"

Me: "I'll check. AND I think I'll go get Dad now..."

I was also in a little trouble for not having her eye drops handy. Apparently she told me several times that she would need them and I neglected to bring them over from the hotel! Oops! When I got back with them she was OUT.. they had given her some morphine. Now we wait for a couple of hours while she rests before we can visit again.

Oh and when Dad went back she didn't remember anything she'd said to me. This could be fun... I remember when we used to joke about/tease Grandma Mengedoht about loopy things that she said in the hospital. I guess what comes around really does go around!

Changing topics... the boys got some pics taken on Sunday -- by me, after church. I was photographing Ben in his tie (see earlier post... we have to wear ties EVERY week now!) Owen ran in between, blocking my view of Ben, and said "CHEESE." He didn't have a tie (I tried - he refused) OR pants on, for that matter, but the pics are still cuties. Enjoy!




Oh and one other cute AND hospital-related thing.. I took Ben to the doctor in Brownsburg on Friday for a look at his ingrown toenail (which is apparently healing w/o intervention). After we shopped a little... just the 2 of us since Jason had picked Owen up from daycare... Ben wanted to get something for Grandma since she was going to be in the hospital. He picked up this "really cute" bird cage thing that was pink w/alot of flowers and birds on it. I said "you sure she'll like that?" He said "YES MOM.. girls LIKE pink!" He ultimately decided on something different, but I thought that was pretty funny. He also said "Grandma ACTUALLY can't remember my name. She is ALWAYS calling me JONAH!" I told him that is a grandma-thing... neither my Grandma McCarter NOR my Grandma Mengedoht ever called me the right name!!

No comments: