Friday, March 28, 2008

Visiting Grandma

Ben and I made the trip to Bruceville last night to surprise Grandma Kaiser. She had a "scare" earlier this week and I thought it would be good for her - and for Ben - to see each other. Of course I coached Ben so much on the way down about being careful with Grandma... and not too rowdy, and don't ask Grandma to get things for you, etc., that he was half-scared to hug her when we got here!

So I'm working from home in Bruceville vs Greencastle, Jason's got Owen and will take him to daycare, and at present, Ben is watching the "Bee Movie" with Aunt Tammie.

When we were heading out the door last night I asked Ben to get his shoes and ask his Dad to help put them on. Owen, noting that things were being carried out the door AND Ben was getting shoes put 2 and 2 together and decided to look for HIS shoes. He has a runny nose and a cough - and he's just, well, ROWDY... so he wasn't coming. I left Jason with him half-crying. Later when we called Owen was crying "mommy" .. he's not a mommy's boy in the LEAST, but I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

Ben took the phone and I heard him saying "don't cry Owen, I'll be home tomorrow. Owen? Owen? ... okay Mommy, you take the phone." Then he sat there for a moment with his lip out (I could see him in the rearview mirror) and I seriously thought he was going to cry too. He recovered of course, mostly because he was watching a DVD that we had rented from Redbox in Spencer, eating his big bag of popcorn and drinking a rootbeer! The life of our 4-yr old!

When I got ready to go to bed last night Ben was already in the bed. I was teasing him about how much I loved him and I said "I'm so glad that you're the little boy that I picked up on the road when you were a baby" (I tease him about picking him and Owen up off the road sometimes). He was really tired so he got VERY upset and said "are you SERIOUS??" I told him I wasn't, of COURSE I was just teasing and then I said "why do you get so upset when Mommy teases you?" Ben: "that's just the way I'm made!" (spoken with CLEAR frustration!)

Hopefully Owen has a good day at daycare. He's got several little pals there... so maybe he won't miss Ben too much.

No comments: