Monday, March 3, 2008

Our first redneck bday party...

I don't have pics yet because I didn't take my own camera, but we had our first of what will probably be many (growing up in Indiana) redneck bday parties! I say that with much affection for the family that had this party...

Ben and Scot are 1 wk apart in age. Ben is 1 wk OLDER... which he mentions all the time. He and Scot have been "friends since we were this big (picture Ben holding his hand about 5 inches off the table)" and last year had a joint "Monster Jam" party for bday #3. So this year I called Melissa (Scot's mom) when we decided that we were definitely doing a party and told her that we'd love for them to join us for the superhero party if they wanted to.

Melissa said that would be great ... and she'd been trying to sell Scot on it, but he wanted a "camo and buck" bday party. So we went our separate ways (how do you combine superheroes with "camo and buck"?). Scot's party was delayed a week due to the flu in his house.. so Ben had an extra week to anticipate the fun. The invite said "wear camo if you want"... Ben said "what if I don't WANT to wear camo!?" In the long run he did, of course, and I was equipped with a thrift store camo sweatshirt and his camo dixie chopper hat. I'll have to post a pic when I get it ... it was too funny.

Anyway, the kids got face paint and then shot arrows at a deer, a turkey and a bear + other targets set around the gym. Oh and we also had a "ring toss" -- throwing gaskets onto deer antlers that were zip-tied to a 1x4. It was very cute... and I learned: 1. bday plates and treat bags actually come in camo, 2. how many of my friends are equipped for deer hunting and/or paintball, and 3. not to mention shooting deer to Ben for a long long time...

More on that last item... before we left for the party Ben was playing with some stuffed monkey that we found in his room during a cleaning spree this weekend. He wanted to take it to the party and I didn't want to drag it with us. I said "better not - he might get shot in the crossfire." Ben: "WHAT? they would shoot my monkey? with REAL guns?"

Me - trying to explain... "no, but when someone is trying to shoot a deer, they might accidentally shoot your monkey." I really should have just changed the subject....

Ben: "they are going to shoot the deer? to KILL the deer? Are you just TEASING??"

I said I was. Note to self and to everyone else, don't get into the hunting topic with Ben anytime soon.

Owen went along for the ride at the bday party too. Here was his day in short... got up and went to church. Big trauma (as usual) being dropped off in the nursery. Jason and I can hear "mommmmmmy! daddddddyyyyy" as he is carried down the haul. At the end of first service I get a page to go to the nursery where I find Owen with a swollen and blue cheek. All at once the three helpers are trying to explain that Owen has fallen and hit his face on a girl's shoe and they wanted me to know since it was bruising and looked bad. I stayed with him for a little bit and it was clear that he had already forgotten that he was bruised/hurt. I left him crying as I went on to Jason's class...

When I went to pick Owen up it looked even worse... and he was tired. He was trying to fall asleep in the van on the way home but the drive was just too short. We came home for a quick lunch and change of clothes, during which he laid in the floor several times to try to get a little rest. He's really attached to his stuffed puppies right now, so we left with him carrying a dog and his "bottle" -- and of course he fell asleep right away in the van and got about 5 mins of shut eye before we reached the church. He slept there on his dad's shoulder for about 10 mins but during the trade (I had to take Owen so that Jason could help Ben shoot a bow and arrow), was awakened. Then he was off.

He ran and ran... and I think avoided stopping just so he wouldn't fall asleep again. At some point in an event that none of us saw, he hurt his mouth. We still can't figure out what he did or where specifically it hurts, but he kept saying "mouth mouth" and cried when he tried to eat or drink.

Then he latched onto Averi. I should first mention that the boys had to join me at a baby shower on Saturday. The new mom, Julena, had an older daughter, Graycie. Owen has recently started attaching himself to a cute girl and then he just won't give up. Graycie was 6 or 7 and he literally hung on her for an hour. If she was standing still, he had his arms hugged around her waist. She would walk and he would walk with her. On and on. At one point she got loose enough to sit down and he literally layed on the floor, on his belly, and hugged her around the ankles! When it was time to leave I told him I was LEAVING HIM and he just smiled and went to Graycie.

So Sunday was round two for the weekend for him... his target this time was Averi. He was hanging onto her one time trying to climb her legs and kiss her. Quite a site. Averi's mom and dad got some pics so hopefully I'll get one of those to post too. It was too cute. Owen called her "A." She's 9 so I don't think there's any hope for him... but he sure gave it a shot!!

No comments: